Pages

Sunday 27 December 2020

91. A Good Son

According  to my grand aunt Wan Cik Nab, My father was an obedient son, never argued with his mother, loved both his parent so much (although both were divorced when he was a child but he would still maintained a good relationship with both sides) including his step father. Even his step father loved him so much and not once treated him like a stepson.

My father was also nice to our extended family members to, he was always there to lend a helping hand. Occasionally, he paid them a visit. My grand Aunt Cik Nab told me.

"I could still remember,  back then,  when your father,  Talib was a staff at Lee Wah Bank in Petaling Jaya...,"she started opening the door to the past bringing me along with her, down the memory lane, reminiscing her past memories of  her encounters with my father, through our conversation that Sunday afternoon.
Although my father's formal name is Fadhilah but my grand aunt referred to him as Talib, his other name only made known and used by our family members.
 I am not sure why or what  it is for almost all the past generation of my family members,  apart from the formal names on their  i/C,  they have second names  among the family members. 
Tok Ngah Mat Noor,  Wan Muna,  Ateh Salma, Alang Ori,   Acik Keteng,  Wan Che Zora are the names known only to family members and the names in their I/C are different. 

I was thrilled listening to her, about my father's past as I did not have the opportunity to listen about his past, first hand from the man himself or perhaps, ai had wasted  that opportunity,  I remember not.

"He bought himself a nice two- door sports car. We were all proud of him that he could own such car, I could not afford the sport  car, as I had big family. The children would not fit in the car," continued grand aunt Wan Long Cik Nab eagerly.

"Did the car fit  the three of us," I asked her referring to me and my siblings.

"No, no, you and your brothers were not even born yet. He wasn't even married yet at that time. He was single, handsome and available that time," explained  my father's aunt, the first cousin to my grandmother.

"It must have been a huge deal and attaraction  to have such car back then, in the late 60 and early 70s " I quirped.

"Indeed it was! I did borrow his car sometimes and he did not mind at all'"  she said with a smile on her face.

Listening to my grand aunt, I was proud of my father.

Due to his positive and kind attitude, he was always remembered by our relatives even long after he has passed away.
Because of him, I too received positive impact of his kindness . I was well accepted by my extended family members. They had longed to meet me. But felt I had to apologize to them that they had to meet me in this condition. The weakening me.