Pages

Friday 30 April 2021

95. Story of my ALS Journey

Although, I could still walk at that time but there was always uneasiness on both of my legs while walking.
Both my strength and my balance diminshes over time. 
I had problem  to stabilise myself while walking nor standing.
I had to lean on something. Like in this photo, i had to lean on my car in order to stand.

After the diagnosis, I could still drive but with my right hand manuevered the car steering while using my left hand to lift the leg from the accelerator to the brake as my thigh lost  its muscle to control the movement of the legs leaving the leg inactive to respond. 

Even in that situation, I prefered to drive my own car instead of taking public transport. It was much convenient to drive.

I was still driving until it hit me badly in late 2010. I could no longer lift my legs with my hand anymore as both my hands had weaken reaching to a point where controlling the steering with my hand had became an herculean task. 
At the same time, I was forced to use a walking stick and crutches to walk. After awhile, on top of using  crutches to walk, I needed others to help me by holding on to their arms or shoulders while walking.

In  2012,  the crutches did not do much help to me after a series of unfortunate event  of  tripping and falling  both in my personal sphere and in the public  spaces that put me into humiliation.,
After much thought of my safety, I had officially became a powered-wheelchair user and then manual wheelchair until now.
 The dramatic shift was mainly caused by Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis or Motor Neuron Disease as to some it is known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.